Skip to main content

Resident FYI

Emergency Sewer Calls

For a sewer emergency 24/7, call 925-228-5635

If you are reporting a sewer backup or overflow incident, please notify the District’s Offices , 24 hours a day, at 925-228-5635. District’s On-Call staff will respond to the reported sanitary sewer incident after hours.  Please follow phone message prompts for sewer emergencies.

Please have the following information ready for the District representative to expedite the response: Name, Address, Phone Number, Address or location of the overflow and all conditions you are experiencing. If you are experiencing a backup into your home please remain calm, remove all persons and pets from the area. If sewage has overflowed inside the home, shut off all heating and air conditioning (HVAC) units. Do not attempt to remove any affected items from the area. If the Mt. View Sanitary District is found to be responsible for the incident, we are committed to cleaning and restoring your property, and to protecting the health of those affected during the remediation process.


District Board Meetings

District Board meetings are held the second Thursday of each month at 6:30 PM. Meetings are opened to the Public.  Information on upcoming and past meetings can be found HERE.


sharps disposal box

How to Dispose of Used Home Medical Sharps

Dispose of used home medical sharps in the collection kiosk outside of the Administration Building of Mt. View Sanitary District.   Disposal containers should be made of heavy-duty plastic and then disposed of at collection kiosks. Access to the collection kiosk is available, Mondays-Thursdays from 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Fridays 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM.  There is no access available on holidays or weekends.  


How does sewer gas get inside your home?

sink gas

Every drain in your home’s sewer system should have a “p”-shaped trap (plumbing trap or p-trap) that is properly vented, this includes showers, bathtubs, utility sinks, and floor drains. The p-traps on each drain “traps” water, creating a seal, or barrier, that will keep sewer gas out of your home. If one of these drains is rarely used, such as in a guest bathroom, the water creating the protective seal will eventually evaporate. This is a formula for trouble that can allow stinky sewer gas to seep into your home. Simply pouring some water into each of the seldom used drains should solve the problem. If odors persist, please call the District at 925-228-5635 for assistance.


West Nile Virus

Property owners and other residents can help by eliminating standing sources of water in their yards, including unkept swimming pools and ponds, discarded tires, clogged rain gutters, cans, buckets, and any other containers where water can accumulate. For more information, visit: 

USA North 811 logo


Underground Service Alert

USA North (Underground Service Alert) is a free notification service for homeowners and contractors who are going to perform any kind of excavation. Call 811 before you dig and find out if there are underground utilities at your site. Legislation in California makes it mandatory to call at least two days before digging.


Solid & Yard Waste

Republic Services is the solid and yard waste hauler for MVSD residents. To find information on your services, rates, etc., click HERE


Household Hazardous Waste

Many products found in your home are potentially hazardous substances. They consist of chemical compounds that can poison, corrode, explode or ignite when not handled properly. These substances are considered household hazardous waste (HHW) and can threaten human and environmental health. For this reason, HHW is not exempt from California hazardous waste laws. It is illegal to dispose of HHW in the trash or down household and storm drains. The Household Hazardous Waste collection facility gives local residents and small businesses a convenient and environmentally safe means for HHW disposal and recycling. Some examples of HHW are below:

Fluorescent lights

Fluorescent light bulbs contain 10 milligrams of mercury. While that does not sound like much, think about the number of fluoresent lights used these days of energy efficiency. They add up to hundreds of thousands of bulbs. Bulbs that are disposed of with solid waste end up in dumps where they are broken and the mercury is released into the air and the groundwater. Keep original packaging and dispose of the bulbs safely at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility in Martinez. 

Fats, Oils & Grease

Cooking fats, oil and grease (FOG) constrict and block household drains blocking sanitary sewer laterals (the line from your home to the street) causing sanitary sewer overflows. Don’t pour cooking oil, fats, or greasy food down the drain.  Always trap FOG in a sealed container, wipe out any excess, and place the container in the trash. The paper towels can be placed in your green cart or used as compost.  Please recycle large amounts of oil (i.e. turkey fryer) and cooking grease at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility, and avoid pain in the drain.

Join our mailing list